I'm now selling my photos!!!

I now host galleries of my favorite photos @ www.lloydshell.zenfolio.com Feel free to surf over there to see photo's that may have drifted into the darkest reaches of the archives here on Blogspot.

I also have begun selling my photographs when requested, I can handle most sizes and finishes either locally or via my on-line printing service.

Thanks for looking!

Lloyd
lloydshell@gmail.com

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lens Reversing Ring=FUN!

I am just getting to know this fun new accessory, it is a Bower 52mm Lens Reversing Ring from www.adorama.com for Pentax mount. I have mounted my Pentax K 50mm f1.4 and K 28mm f3.5 lenses.

The first shot is from the 28mm wide open I believe it is about a 2:1 reproduction ratio meaning that the image on my sensor is 2x the size of the object in real life.


This is from my 50mm stopped down a little, it has an impossibly thin depth of field wide open. It is close to 1:1.

This is a shot with my Sigma 17-70 at about 1:3 it works great as a macro lens but the working distance is almost touching the front element at really close focus which makes lighting hard. It will go to 1:2.3.

These were taken in a south facing window on a hazy saturday afternoon. I could get a deeper depth of field but it would take stopping down more and that entailed shutter speeds too slow for handholding. I will probably end up needing a Macro Rail should I get more into this.


This is closest focus with the K 28mm @ f5.6 ish (Can't remember) the slightest shake makes for motion blur. Definitely a case for using a tripod.




Back to the 50mm @ f8



2 comments:

Unknown said...

What on EARTH is a reversing ring, Lloyd? Is it some kind of macro attachment? Interesting. . . Cindy

Lloyd said...

Cindy,

Look here, this is what I bought: http://www.adorama.com/MCRRPX52.html?searchinfo=reversing+ring+pentax

It is a gadget that screws into the filter threads of a lens that allows you to mount it with the front element facing the camera and the rear element facing front. i.e. reversed. Which allows for greater magnification.

Lloyd